Ubuntu 10.04 Is Here

Not sure why I am so excited about this. Geek obviously, but still. Normally I am fairly reserved when a new version of something comes out, but this one feels different.

I use 8.04 at work at my primary OS with a dash of VMware Workstation thrown in for Windows/Outlook and other testing. At home my machines are primarily Windows 7 thanks to my MAPS and TechNet subscription. I really love using 8.04 at work but it has some issues. Sound seems to be a big problem; often times it will just stop working for no reason until I reboot, which I don’t like to do very often. This is generally fine because I don’t do much that requires sound, but it makes it pretty frustrating when there’s an important screencast to be viewed.

More of a problem is when it slows to a crawl. It’s pretty frustrating when I am trying to get something done quickly and it becomes unresponsive for 30 seconds or longer. I would think any modern OS should be able to multitask pretty well, so I don’t know what’s going on there. This doesn’t happen a lot but when it does, it makes me wonder if I should switch back to Windows.

I am very much hoping that 10.04 fixes both issues.

In the past, I used to occasionally install Linux just for something to do, but then once it was installed, I’d be all “ok, now what?”, then destroy the installation and put Windows back on it. You could hardly blame me: all my clients were Windows-based, so there was little point in me putting much effort into Linux. Times have changed: now I wish all my clients used Linux.

As a test, I installed it under VMware Workstation. It installed fine, but after initially booting, I was unable to enter a password: the keyboard didn’t work. Not the coolest start! I clicked the little man-in-wheel icon at the bottom and selected the option to display the on-screen keyboard. After rebooting, the keyboard showed up and I logged in. Then I opened a terminal and entered:

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console-setup

After rebooting, I turned off the on-screen keyboard. Now everything is working well. Apparently this is caused by a conflict introduced by the VMware tools during automated setup, and by not doing an automated setup this shouldn’t happen.